Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Iceland Day 3

Temps: a brisk but invigorating 42 degrees
Cavalcade of fun:
• 40 min run in the am, pummeled by 20-30 mph winds
• 2 hour glacier hike with crampons and ice ax (glacier is sadly covered with lots of ash)
• 45 minute wait for a car to jump our hiking guide's van
• ice floe boat ride (see photo) on the lake that was intentionally frozen to shoot the James Bond film, Die Another Day
• 8 mile tempo on the main highway with the first 4 miles uphill and into the wind, the last 4 miles at 5:45 pace
• hour in a hot tub

I figured out why i've been feeling so off on my morning runs - I've been running at the equivalent of 2-3 am! So rather than fight it, I am now just doing the hard workouts in the pm, when my body is a little more ready to work.

Great trip so far. Wish I brought more clothes. Looks like we are going to go watch an Icelandic Second Division soccer game in a couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment